A little bit of Earth: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Knights come in juice booths, and make strawberry smoothies.
I arrived at LCCT and the first thing I did was purchase a sim pack with data plan only to realize that my mobile phone is locked to a network in the Philippines. I hadn't turned on roaming so it was a total bummer. I headed out of the airport, and as I stepped out a sudden gush of heat, unfamiliarity & disorientation hit me. I started sweating not because I was panicking, but probably because my brain was overstimulated and at the same time trying to calmly think of how else to reach my friends. I saw payphones, detected wifi, all of which didn't work. I knew I had to get to KL Sentral so I got my bus + train ticket, walked around until I decided to cool down with a strawberry smoothie. A few sips later and still by the juice stand, I blurt out to the cashier, "Can I use your phone? I need to reach my friends and my phone doesn't work." He mentioned I could but that he didn't have enough credit to make calls, and so I tell him we could use the one I had just bought. Chivalry is not dead! Thankfully, I was able to contact Yesodhra and we both agreed I get to KL Sentral and hopefully find another person who would let me use his/ her phone so I could call her or Jockim. In the train, I was thinking, damn it how many people would let me use their phone. I play a game on my phone to soothe my nerves, stupidly try to turn on roaming, turn on my dataplan, and then turn on wifi - my phone buzzes, AHAH! Whatsapp! The wifi in the KLIA Express train and at KL Sentral helped me spot, Jockim.
Roaming around Malaysia was a comfortable experience for me since I didn't have to find my way around. Jockim and Yes kept me company all throughout my stay, toured me around and squeezed in a history lesson here and there.

Highlights of my Stay
  • Magnifico welcomed me in Chapter One at Hartamas with a filipino song! (I felt so special)
  • Meeting a Silat Guru, having cider til I felt bloated, and getting a damned good read or as Kuya (Jockim) says chismis
  • My knight in shining armor disguised as a juice boy, haha! Thank you, thank you!
  • Roaming around Kuala Lumpur with lots of laughs with Jockim and Yes
  • Street side food stalls just outside my hotel.... mmmm roti and masala tea, I miss!
Places I went to See
KL Bird Park, Lake Gardens
  • The "World's Largest free-flight walk-in aviary"
  • So cool to see birds just making their way around the park
Cindy Jeddalyn Perez


Cindy Perez Kuala Lumpur Malaysia


Cindy Perez KL Bird Park Malaysia


KL Bird Park Malaysia Lake Gardens

Kuala Lumpur Bird Park Lake Gardens Malaysia

Batu Caves Sri Subramaniam Temple, Gombak District, Selangor
  • 272 Steep Steps that were once wooden steps
  • Monkeys are free to hang around
  • Proud of Yes and Jockim for making it to the top (I insisted!)
  • I didn't go inside the Dark Caves, something to try next time
  • I learned that just north to the caves is Gua Dumai wall, a place to enjoy not only the scenic view but rock climbing as well!
  • Before making our way to Batu Caves, Yes and Jockim took me to try out some hawker gourmet! Nom nom, an experience you would not want to miss, and yes, I miss the sambal noodles.


Batu Caves Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Cindy Jade Perez Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Batu Caves Selangor Malaysia Cindy Perez



Dataran Merdeka Square
  • There is also a Merdeka Square in Jakarta
  • Close to the Merdeka Square is an underground entrance to an old theatre which to this day still holds shows/ plays
  • If you hang around long enough til the wee hours of the night you may just be able to witness kids drag race

Central Market
  • You'll find a variety of Indian, Malay, to Chinese items
  • Refuel yourself with a snack like Putu Bambu (pandan rice cake, yum!) or have a full meal
  • Had my first ever Nasi Lemak at the Old Town White Coffee


Cindy Jade Perez


Putu Bambu Cindy Perez



KLCC Petronas Twin Towers
  • Yes and I walked the sky bridge to get to the Pavilion Mall stayed at Malone's, an Irish bar and had Sauvignon Blanc. We had a few hours to ourselves for some girl talk.
  • Devoured delicious pastries from Loaf
  • Dinner was at The Apartment back in KLCC Suria Mall with Yes, Jockim, and little Vida


The trip may have not been perfectly planned, but I think that takes away from unraveling whatever mysteries a city has to offer. In Kuala Lumpur, I learned that your knight in shining armor can be some guy standing behind a juice stall, the unexpected will still surprise you and at the end of it all you may just come home feeling a little bit luckier, a little bit wiser, a little bit better.

Although there had been many years between us these two easily made it feel as if it were yesterday.





Comments

Popular Posts